Worth a Look

Richest 1% will own more than all the rest by 2016

The combined wealth of the world's richest 1 percent will overtake that of the other 99 percent of people next year unless the current trend of rising inequality is checked, Oxfam is warning ahead of the annual World Economic Forum meeting in Davos.

Courtesy of Oxfam International

Read more...
 
 

Why the Oscars are still in black and white

Slave, yes, Lupita won for playing a slave. Abusive mother, yes, Mo'Nique won an award for that role. Maid, yes, Octavia won for playing a maid. In a film industry where 98 percent of producers are white, 98 percent of writers are white, 88 percent of actors are white, and 93 percent of the Academy is white, it's clear that people are comfortable seeing African Americans in certain roles.

Courtesy of Al Jazeera

Read more...
 
 

Eco faceoff: Carbon tax versus cap and trade

It's official (sort of). Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne has cracked opened the door to a BC-style carbon tax, or at least she didn't shoot down the idea when pressed on it last week as she has in the past. Word is the province is coming out with a climate plan of action this spring, and the two main choices on the table are cap and trade or a carbon tax. So which is better for cutting GHGs?

Courtesy of NOW

Read more...
 
 

Body Politics: An interview with Jessica & Fleetwood Luxery-Legay

I want to talk about body positivity on the Prairies and break the idea (and expectation) that there’s no movement here. The Prairies – and Calgary in particular – can be an isolating, conservative place to organize, and because of this, the connections with people here who are working and living for change are vital.

Courtesy of Briarpatch Magazine

Read more...
 
 

That's Jokes

 

Poll

Do you agree with the Harper Government's decision to introduce legislation that bans "the promotion of terrorism"?
 

Videos